Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Meet Tugg


Can I just tell you that since the day we got home from our honeymoon, I have been begging for a puppy. I mean, down-on-my-knees BEGGING!! Drew made it clear he wanted to be married at least a year before we got a dog - and i am glad we had that rule, because we really did have a ton of freedom to come and go whenever we wanted, and we didn't have to worry about taking a dog out, feeding, etc. It was pretty nice. But I am willing to let that go :) So since our one year anniversary, I have been searching, and praying, for the perfect pup! Oh how we've been blessed!! He is PERFECT!! God is so good!

I found him on AJC from a breeder in Ringold, GA - near Drew's hometown *maybe a sign??* He's a pure bred yellow Labrador Retriever. I honestly didn't think we'd actually get a pure bred. I was looking on lab rescue websites, in the paper for lab mixes, just everywhere I could look for a yellow lab, with a black nose. Then, after some searching, I realized that I didn't want to rescue unless it was a puppy - call me high maintenance, but since we have a cat, I didn't want to screw up any family dynamics. Then, 4 days after we got back from our trip (promise to blog about it soon) I got online and found the PERFECT lab *for $200...another sign??*. Drew couldn't believe it and was in shock because we found one so fast. But I proceeded by telling him that this was the puppy God picked out for us! He couldn't say no to that, right?? Haha! And speaking of the cat - they are new best friends:



Pretty cute!! They wrestle all over the house and it is super fun to watch them!

Okay, so we brought him home Friday morning, and it is now Sunday night. He has had no accidents, he has already learned how to walk amazingly on the leash (after never having been on one until now) - right at my heal, he knows how to sit already, and I can tell is soaking up and learning so much more! He loves his crate and goes in there to sleep by himself all the time. I cannot wait to train him to be such a great companion to us, and for our future kids! He is an extremely calm puppy with great listening skills. I honestly could not ask for a better dog with a better temperament. Establishing our dominance to him is a priority over the next several months, but I can tell he already knows who's boss!

Please don't ask me where the name Tugg came from. It took us 2 days to figure out what to name him. I loved Charlie, and really wanted to name him that, but Drew opposed, and I figured since I picked out the pup, he could name it. So Tug(g) it is. I added the G for a little extra...something. Or because I needed to know that I somehow contributed to something that I opted not to contribute to {story of my life}. I think Tugg is pretty a redneck name, but whatever. Speaking of redneck, today I went to Tractor Supply, bought shots for him, and administered them myself. Drew's sister, Jennie, is practically a vet and I spent last evening with her going over puppy/dog stuff regarding food, shots, meds, etc., and i learned that the vet is a MAJOR scam. NEVER again will I take an animal there, unless major emergency. It is nice to have an established "doctor" I guess, someone you know. But if I can get his annual shots for $7, get him neutered for $30, and all meds for cheap, then why wouldn't I, or anyone else, take advantage of the people who aren't taking advantage of the people!! I mean, DUH!!!

So there is the story of Tugg. I am sure I will rant and rave about him much more another time. I am just so excited to finally have a puppy of my own! He is our first baby, and it is so much fun watching Drew take an interest in training him and loving on him!! Enjoy the rest of the pics of our perfect, blessing of a pup!

No comments: