Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Laundry Room Makeover: Preview

I've decided that it is time do redo the laundry room closet. It's not that I've been putting it off, it's just that it hides behind two closet doors and I don't really ever look at it when I'm doing laundry. Oh, laundry. My least most favorite chore. I've decided if I redo the laundry closet, I just might be more inspired to do laundry. But probably not.

This was our laundry room the day we bought the house:



I know, I know. That is really what it looked like. Try not to gag. Absolutely disgusting. But that is what the whole house looked like, and now, I can't complain. When we redid the carpet and floor, we redid the laundry room floor,  scrubbed the baseboards, and painted the walls white.

It's still really not that great. Please don't laugh.





Yes, the fire extinguisher was part of the original decor. Not my idea. Even though, if there was a fire upstairs, I guess we'd be safe.

Maybe I'll test it and see if it works...

So over the past few weeks, I've been getting inspired and ideas from other blogs and I've settled on one in particular that I think is stunning, and I've decided to copy as much as I can. Cheating, I know. But if I can get my laundry closet to look half as good as her laundry room, I'll be in laundry heaven.

The paint color I'm going with is Cypress Grass from Glidden. The same color is the room that inspired me.




Here are some pictures of my inspiration. They all come from the blog House of Smiths. It's great and you should check it out too.





Yes, I am even going to attempt to make that cute ironing board holder. The vinyl lettering is $9.50 and is made by the woman who's laundry room this is. So, from now on, every time I iron (HAHA!) I will think of her and her inspiration for my laundry closet!

Rather than having one shelf that extends across the wall above my washer and dryer, I've decided to add a cabinet above my washer so that I can hide my detergent, bleach, dryer towels, light bulbs, iron, etc - all the things that just aren't so cute. On the opposite side, I will add two shelves, and as much as I love her decor, mine will obviously be a little different. I will probably put a lamp in there since I have no overhead light, I think I am going to add a small fan since the dryer causes things to get pretty hot, and some baskets for dog and cat accessories/essentials like flea treatments, collars, etc.

I did score a window frame like the pictured one for $3, I just need to sand the heck out of it and get it worn down like that. I like the wreath, but if I don't find one, I don't think it will make a big difference.

Anyway, wish me luck as I am going to start tackling this project this weekend, and hopefully by next weekend it will be finished! I will post along the way, and if I make anything myself, like the window frame, I will try to do a little tutorial.

No comments: