What a totally awesome day we had today!!! We woke up, not too early, and headed downtown to participate in Freaknik. Just kidding.
A little over a month ago I decided it was time to give myself a goal and run a 5K. I have already been running over 3 miles, but to compete in a race with over a thousand people gave me a little chill of excitement. So I sent in a $20 check and was officially registered....by myself. My loving and supportive husband decided at the very last minute that he was going to run with me, but not register. Fine with me...and the moral support was great. Don't get me wrong, I can run by myself, and sometimes I can even run better by myself. But to have a buddy is a really great feeling and motivator. So anyway, that is what we did today. And let me just say that I think participating in this particular race was a great first experience!
I finished!!!!
So overall, I was the 64th female to cross the finish line, my time was 28:14...which is great considering that the entire course was basically up hill and I wanted to die. And there was cold beer waiting for us at the end of the race. Not that I am a huge beer drinker (due to the carbs and cals), but I swear it was the BEST Blue I've ever tasted!! The race was followed my a music festival so we let our heart rates subside while sitting on the lawn enjoying a brew and some decent cover bands. But that was only the beginning of our amazing day!
Around 1:30 we headed to Park Tavern (where I desperately wanted to have my wedding reception...but couldn't come up with the $15K to do it...HA!!), and we enjoyed a lunch overlooking the park and the Dogwood Festival. Lunch was great, the company was great, the weather was great, the park was filled with thousands of people, and lunch was free with my Groupon. Well, kind of. I paid $15 for it, but it bought us $40 worth of food. And since I bought it last month, it felt like a free date!
To end our day we served dinner to the homeless at Must Ministries, which I will admit, was a great refresher for us, and especially for me. Drew signed us up and I was not happy about it since it was on my Saturday night. But we went, we served, and we felt great. God is so good and I need to remind myself that I am not the center of the world sometimes...which this definitely helped me do. And it was fun to see Drew all giddy after serving, because it was what he is so passionate about :)
But seriously, what an awesome day!! Right?!?
1 comment:
Congrats! If I tried to run a 5K- not prego and downhill- I would die. That's so cool!
I volunteered for Must Ministries in college. Love that place! Small world!
Post a Comment