Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Veggie Lasagna



Please forgive me as I start blogging recipes. I am NOT one to ever use my measuring cups or spoons unless it is absolutely critical...like for a cake or something. I will try the best that I can though since I pretty much make these things up as I go. But if you like to just wing it, then these will be as easy for you as they are for me!

Ingredients:
1 Box of Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
1 large can of tomato sauce
1/2 Onion (yellow or white, your preference)
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
2 Celery Stalks
1 Handful (like that?) of Baby Carrots, or 2 Carrots peeled
1 Handful of fresh Baby Spinach
5-8 Button Mushrooms (optional)
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tbs. Olive Oil
Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg
1 bag of Italian shredded cheese.

Wow....that was way more ingredients than I thought!!

Preheat oven to 350. Add noodles to a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente (8-9 minutes). Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat up olive oil. Add garlic, onion, and spinach (after chopping). In a food processor, chop carrots, celery, and mushrooms (separate) and add to skillet. Dice peppers and add to skillet as well. Saute all veggies on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, then add tomato sauce. If you have a favorite red or white wine, you could add 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of wine to the veggies and let reduce before you pour your sauce in the skillet. Let simmer on low while you prepare the rest.

In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 of the bag of Italian cheese, Rocotta cheese, and egg. Stir together. Set aside.

Prepare a 9x9 baking dish by covering the bottom with tomato sauce. Add first layer of noodles. If they are too long, tear them in half. Add ricotta cheese mixture cheese to the top of the noodles and spread evenly. Sprinkle a small handful of shredded cheese on top of the ricotta. Add sauce over the cheese. Repeat. I fit about three layers on mine. You could always double the recipe for a larger portion. I loved this recipe and to me, it tasted better than a meaty version. And my non-veggie hubby LOVED it!!! Definitely a hearty, healthy meal you should try!

Enjoy!

No comments: